I must have had upwards of fifty people contact me and ask if I’d heard of the new Xiaomi Yi camera and whether I was going to review it, however a few hours before the first of those messages arrived, I’d already pre-ordered one. I suspected that a budget 1080p60 camera from a reputable manufacturer would be worth taking a look at…and it seems I wasn’t wrong.
I’ve been using it for a little over a week now, and you can find my video review below.
As I mentioned in the video I intend to revisit this camera when the waterproof case is released. At that point I’ll probably do another video showing how it performs on my motorcycle, however you should be already able to tell that the video quality from this camera is very impressive.
If you want to download my SAMPLE CLIPS & PHOTOS- then CLICK HERE. Make sure you Download and play these back locally rather than streaming them.
Waterproof Case details here (pre-order)
Below are some purchasing links
EBAY (click your country)
BANGGOOD (Links below)
Android App Link - http://sports.xiaoyi.com/app/sports_camera.apk
UPDATE - Connecting to the Camera.
Since the manual is in Chinese and not everyone is familar with the process of connecting to a WiFi camera, here is a basic guide.
First download and install and update the app listed above. Once it's working, then...
1) Go into the settings on your phone and look for the WiFi option
2) Turn on the WiFi on the Camera (tap the button on the side)
3) Wait approx 15 secs until the blue light starts flashing
4) In the WiFi settings on your phone you will then see the camera appear as a WiFi hotspot.
5) Connect to the hotspot - it will ask for the password - it's 1234567890
6) When the Phone is connected up to the camera - then go into the app and you can access the camera and it's settings.
UPDATE MAY 2015: Whilst the Stills & Auto-Exposure are excellent - I’ve had second thoughts about the video sharpness. After watching the footage I recorded on my motorcycle - objects at a distance look a little soft to me. I suggest you download some samples and make up your own mind.